GCE A Level 9757/8818 Economics Syllabus

Think Rationally for the  JC A Level Economics Syllabus

As stated by the SEAB GCE A level Economics Syllabus, this subject aims to educate students into ‘a confident person, a self-directed learner, an active contributor and a concerned citizen’ as he is embraced with both economics principles well as local and international contextualized knowledge so that he/she is made to be a rational thinker.

GCE A Level 9757/8818 Economics Syllabus 2017

Think Rationally for the  JC A Level Economics Syllabus

As stated by the SEAB GCE A level Economics Syllabus, this subject aims to educate student into ‘a confident person, a self-directed learner, an active contributor and a concerned citizen’ as he is embraced with the economics principles and local and international contextualized knowledge of the world to make him a rational thinker.

Areas of study for JC Economics

The areas of study is divided into two major areas, namely Mircoeconomics and Macroeconomics for H1 and H2 Economics

For H2 Economics Syllabus (9757)

Microeconomics

  1. Central Economics Problem
  2. Theory of Demand and Supply
  3. Elasticity of Demand and Supply
  4. Government regulation
  5. Cost of Production / Theory of Firm
  6. Market structure I (features and Concepts)
  7. Market Structure II ( Types of market structures)
  8. Market structure III(Efficiency and Strategies)
  9. Market failures I (Concepts and Mechanism)
  10. Market Failures (Regulation)

Macroeconomics

  1. Introduction to Macroeconomics
  2. National Income Accounting & Economic Indicators
  3. National Income Determination
  4. Economic Growth
  5. Inflation
  6. Unemployment
  7. Aims of Government and Policies
  8. International Trade
  9. Balance of Payment
  10. Foreign Exchange
  11. Globalization

For H1 Economics Syllabus (8819)

Microeconomics

  1. Central Economics Problem
  2. Theory of Demand and Supply
  3. Price elasticity of Demand and Supply
  4. Government regulation (Taxation and Subsidy only)
  5. Market failures I (Concepts and Mechanism)
  6. Market Failures (Regulation)

Macroeconomics

  1. Introduction to Macroeconomics
  2. National Income Accounting & Economic Indicators
  3. AS-AD Analysis and variation
  4. Economic Growth
  5. Inflation
  6. Unemployment
  7. Aims of Government and Policies
  8. International Trade
  9. Balance of Payment
  10. Foreign Exchange
  11. Globalization

Examination Format for Economics

How will students be tested on the Economics papers?

The test requirements of the examination for H1 and H2 questions are quite different for H1 and H2 Economics Paper in terms of the nature of the questions and focus of the chapters of study. The difference in the number of  chapters being tested is lesser in H1 syllabus than H2 syllabus for Microeconomics but the difference is lesser in the Macroeconomics chapters. The second area of difference is seen in terms of the nature of questions being tested where the questions being tested for H1 syllabus is likely to be more based on direct explanation and analysis. H2 questions are more extensive and indirect and skills required are very extensive and analytical-based.

H2 Economics (9757) Exam Format

Paper 1: Case Study Questions

For H2 Economics, students will need to attempt two case study questions for paper 1 with one question with focus on microeconomics while the second question focusing on macroeconomics but students must take note that the questions are mixed than before in recent years where the questions that are focusing on macroeconomics also have questions that with focus on microeconomics and vice-versa. There is an average of 6 sub-questions or at certain years can be more or less and the total marks for each question is 30 marks. Students must also attempt all questions

Paper 2: Essay Writing

As for essay writing paper, students will need to attempt three questions out of six questions,which carrying 25 marks per question. These questions can be a 25 marks question or divided in marks for the two sections. Students must attempt at least one question from each section and the third question either from section A or section B.

As for the mark allocation, the essay writing paper carries a percentage of 60% of the total marks while the case study question paper carries the other 40%.

H1 Economics (8819) Exam Format

Paper 1: Case Study Questions

For H1 Economics, the paper for case study only has two questions and both questions have focus similar to H2 Economics but the questions may also have cross-chapters like h2 Economics and students must attempt all questions for these two questions.

Paper 2: Essay Writing

However for H1 Economics, students only one question from the two sections. Usually, the essay writing paper will have one Mircoeconomics  question and one Macroeconomics. However, in one particular year, both questions are on macroeconomics question.

As for the mark allocation, the essay writing paper carries only a percentage of 30% of the total marks while the case study question paper carries the other 70%.

Therefore, the CSQ paper is of greater significance to the students who take H1 Economics.

For more details on the syllabus, we advise students to view the SEAB syllabus for 2017 H2 Economics (9757) or H1 Economics (8819).

Skills & Examination Techniques

What skills do you need to excel in JC Economics?

Students taking up the Economics subject at the JC level are first and foremost, required to be proficient with the various economic concepts. The are expected to be able to apply it to various contexts, and question types. Also students must be able to have deep analytical and observation skills to be able to pick out and analyse economic trends that are present most notably in the CSQ paper. The ability to be able to apply and relate whatever they have learnt to real world examples must also be a key skill students must have given the increase in real world application based questions.

Economics Examination Trends

Trend of the GCE A level examination for JC Economics

Paper 1 CSQ

For the Paper 1, the CSQ aspect of examination, the first thing we learnt from the examination is that there is no clear-cut separation of the microeconomics and macroeconomics focus. Both types of the questions are tested in both questions.

JC Students also need to take note that the focus of the question has moved away from the focus on just factual explanation but also on the need to conduct analysis and evaluation. This type of examination requires students to be more aware of the knowledge of the context of the question in terms of the nature of the product and the industry for microeconomics and the nature of the economic issues and the nature of the economy for macroeconomics.

Paper 2 Essay Writing

For essay writing paper, the focus of the examination is now very empirical and integrated as the questions are now cross-chapters and integrated. The questions are also more issue-based with a preamble that students need to use as an example for the discussion in the question. As a result of these changes, students must be able to answer question in a more structured and systematic order where the areas of discussion of the question must apply to the context of the question.

It is also imperative for students to raise their capabilities to make explanatory notes independently in terms of explanation process, issue evaluation, graphical demonstration and solution provision to the context of the question. JC students need to be orderly and precise, ensuring that the explanation will cover the range of questions as stated.

Be inspired to learn at JC Tuition Singapore

Discover the essentials of JC tuition and education issues to be exam-ready.

Get in Touch